So the question here is: “Why not just buy some high-quality beat-making software? Why even mess around with online beat makers?”
Those are valid points.
If you have the money to spend on a beat-making program, feel free to get the best software you can. The problem is, many home studio Producers don’t have a ton of money, especially those who are just starting out.
So let me quickly point out some benefits of using an online beat maker:
- They’re often free or very affordable.
- You don’t need any equipment besides your computer (no need for an audio interface, DAW, or MIDI controller).
- They’re very easy to use.
- The beats you make are usually shareable.
- You can easily collaborate with friends.
I’ve hand-picked three that meet most or all of the points on that list.
Can you make beats with just a laptop?
Yes, you can make beats even if you have only a laptop. Beat making software (free or paid) allows you to program drums and use virtual instruments by adding MIDI notes with your mouse or your computer’s keyboard. You can also incorporate samples into your beat.