How can I promote my music independently?
There is so much you can do to promote your music! Sharing every idea that would help spread the word about your work could take thousands of words, so instead, here’s a quick list of some of the best, most effective ways to get the tunes into the ears of as many people as possible.
Some ideas for how to promote your music independently include:
- Get featured on a popular playlist on Spotify or Apple Music
- Create a music video that goes viral
- Buy advertising on social media
- Plan and conduct a complete PR campaign
- Hand out CDs and download cards on the street
- Book concerts and music festivals opening for other acts
Where can I promote my music for free?
If you don’t have a dime to spend to promote your music, there are still ways you can reach those who haven’t yet heard of you and your amazing new single or album!
Here are a few options for those artists who are counting every penny and want to promote their music for free:
- Make the lyrics or music video into a meme
- Choreograph a dance video on TikTok that young people fall in love with
- Become very active on social media and make connections outside of your music, encouraging new followers to listen to your art
- Get friends, family and fans to share your work with their networks
- Busk on the street, playing your tunes for passersby
How do I get my music noticed?
Making music is great, but it can be incredibly disappointing to work hard on new songs or an album, only for nobody to hear it. Getting your music noticed is a must for anybody who wants to be a professional musician, but how does one do that?
Here are some ideas on how to get your music heard:
- Work with the media to feature you and your latest release
- Hire a PR firm to promote your music
- Pay a company to push your new song to playlists on Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming services
- Distribute it to all online stores and streaming platforms via a distributor
Where can I post my music?
So, the single is done, and you’re sure that once it’s out there, people are going to fall in love with you and your art. But, where should you post it? Many online distributors can help you with this task, though you’ll have to take on some of the work yourself in ensuring it’s everywhere listeners go for new tunes.
Some places you can post your music include:
- YouTube (both an official music video and just the audio)
- Streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, Pandora and dozens of others)
- Online stores (iTunes, Amazon and international options)
- Your website
- Social media (You might not want to give everything away on social, but teasing your music is great!)